Today’s events; (kind of like the Olympics)
- Stair climbing
- Leg stretching
- Showering
- Getting up out of short chairs
- Shoulder stretching
The morning started with breakfast of pancakes. I got a phone call from Christine, so I lay down to talk with her and somehow fell asleep, the next thing I knew my therapist was waking me up.
She transferred me into my wheelchair; I used my heels to pull myself to the PT gym. It helped warm up my knees for the 1st event, stair climbing. I was able to climb up and down the 4 stairs without a break. Mom tried to film it and it didn’t work so they, Mom and the therapist, insisted that I do it one more time. It was filmed successfully this time.
Next event, leg stretching. Today was the team meeting; they set goals during the previous team meeting, so today is measurement day and that means knee flex to see where I am. The therapist allows me to pull my leg back as far as I can, then she adds some pressure till I can’t handle the pain. Before I start to scream she takes a measurement, she checks it four times. The bonus part, she pushed me all the way back to my room. Showering was the best part or the day.
I managed to get into the shower, take off all my braces, boots, socks and etcetera all by myself. I could get to everything except my left arm and back. After a quick shave I was dried off and sporting a new shirt that Mom found in the hospital thrift shop. It looks great especially with my brown shorts.
The most disappointing part of the day was getting out of short chairs. It is hard enough getting up out of a tall chair, but a short chair were my knees are higher than my seat made it near impossible without help, to get up.
Shoulder stretching was an easier task to accomplish, but it still took great effort. They start with a broomstick, and have me raise it in front of chest. Holding it as high as I can, they then push it higher, and have me hold it, and if I can’t they hold it for me. I can feel the burn.
After meeting my goals for the week they made it official, Feb 23, 2010 I will be on my way home to Omaha!
Bill
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Looks like we will see you soon!!!
YAY!! I'm SOOO excited! Can't wait till you get home!!
Love YA! You're Doing GREAT!!!
Dominique :)
You get to train like an athlete, but do you get a chance to watch the Olympics at all? Even our dinner yesterday was interupted by the men's hockey...USA beat us!!
5-3 How do you feel about going home?! Colleen
Post a Comment